Thursday, January 10, 2008

Another EA Degree

Yesterday I had the opportunity to witness the initiation of a new young Brother. It was interesting to see the whole ritual from another perspective, and witness the nervousness and anxiousness followed by that particular feeling of joy and accomplishment once the degree is conferred. I felt proud to be able to attend a lodge meeting opened on the EA degree and wear my apron while feeling like part of the team for once, rather than the lonely candidate seeking acceptance.
This degree was performed at the El Maida Shrine Temple, which provided me with the opportunity to meet Brethren from two other lodges in El Paso and tour the amazing facility while getting a glimpse of this other appendant body of Freemasonry called the Shriners of North America.

2 comments:

Ben said...

J, you'll find that as time goes on you'll get to see more and more ceremonies - and as you progress through the degrees, more of the 2nd and 3rd degrees as well. I can't recommend visiting other lodges, and getting along to appropriate ceremonies, enough - it truly is the lifeblood of freemasonry, and you'll have a great time doing it, and meeting new brethren.

Unknown said...

I assisted in 3 EA degrees at my lodge last night (Wasatch #1 SLC, Utah.)It always takes me back to mine. One of the greatest moments of my life actually.